During my middle school years, I was a self-proclaimed chocoholic. I constantly needed a fix of chocolate. Every two hours or so, I would need a taste of chocolate. Back then, my preferred chocolate choice was plain M&M’s—now labeled as milk chocolate M&M’s by the company. I always carried the candy with me everywhere I went. So naturally, I also packed it with me whenever I went to school.
I really did try my best to stock up on M&M’s. Yet every now and then, I would run out of the awesome candy. At that point, I could no longer be choosey about what chocolate I ate. I just ate whatever edible chocolate flavored item I could get my hands on at the time.
My parents knew about my addiction to chocolate. They saw how I always grab the bags of plain M&M’s whenever I go with them to the grocery store. They also took note of how often I would buy chocolate ice cream or chocolate cake. Yet one time I absolutely took them by surprise.
The house was out of my usual chocolate delights. So I drank something I never really considered before. No, it was not hot chocolate cocoa. I did not have any at the time. Instead, I drank a spoonful of chocolate syrup. When I said a spoonful, I don’t mean it as an estimate.
I really did pour the chocolate syrup onto a spoon before swallowing it. My parents saw me doing that, and were caught completely off guard. After a bit, they started teasing me nonstop about it. From then on, they called the chocolate syrup my personal medicine.